Health Policy and Economics
Selected Recent Publications
Please note the following searches may bring up some extraneous publications (by authors with similar names).
Pubmed listing for Erika Abramson, MD, MS
Pubmed listing for Yuhua Bao, PhD
Pubmed listing for Tara F. Bishop, MD
Pubmed listing for Lawrence P. Casalino, MD, PhD
Pubmed listing for Oliver T. Fein, MD
Pubmed listing for Madelon L. Finkel, PhD
Pubmed listing for Nathaniel Hupert, MD, MPH
Pubmed listing for Hye-Young (Arian) Jung, PhD
Pubmed listing for Lisa M. Kern MD, MPH
Pubmed listing for Stephen L. Lyman, PhD, MSPH
Pubmed listing for Michael F. Pesko, PhD
Pubmed listing for Matthew J. Press, MD, MS
Pubmed listing for James C. Robinson, PhD, MPH
Pubmed listing for Andrew M. Ryan, PhD, MA
Pubmed listing for Mark A. Unruh, PhD, MS
Pubmed listing for Joshua R. Vest, PhD, MPH
Books/Chapters/Online Reports/Newspaper Articles
- Finkel, ML, Hays, J, Law, A. Modern Natural gas Development and Harm to Health: The Need for Proactive Public Health Policies. In McBroom, M. (ed). The Effects of Induced Hydraulic Fracturing on the Environment: Commerical Demands vs. Soil, Water, and Wildlife. Apple Academic Press (forthcoming).
- Fein, O., Geiger, J. Chapter 12: Medical Care in Social Injustice and Public Health. Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Fein, O., Phillips, C. Chapter 28: Learning from the Social Movements of the 1960’s in Social Injustice and Public Health, Oxford University Press. 2013.
- Finkel, ML. Fracking Downside Needs to be Addressed. The Scotsman. Thursday Feb 14, 2013. OpEd page.
- Finkel, ML, Editor. Public Health in the 21st Century (Santa Barbara, Calif.: Praeger Publishing, 2011)
- Hupert, N. Predicting and Planning for Public Health Disasters. In Levy B and Sidel V (Eds.), Terrorism and Public Health. Oxford University Press, 2011
- Hupert N , Muckstadt JA, Xiong W Quantitative Planning for Epidemic and Disaster Response: Logistics and Supply Chain Considerations. In Reilly MJ and Markenson DS (Eds.), Healthcare Emergency Management: Principles and Practice. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett, 2010.
- Towers S, Feng Z, Hupert N. Short-term heterologous immunity after severe influenza A outbreaks. arXiv:1007.3017v1, Submitted on 18 Jul 2010.
- Jost, Timothy S. and Lawrence P. Casalino. 2010. “Value-based Purchasing Opportunities in Traditional Medicare: A Proposal and Legal Evaluation.” In The Fragmentation of U.S. Health Care: Causes and Solutions, pp. 201-220, ed. Einer R. Elhauge. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Melissa Cheung, Anh-Thu Vu, Doris R. Varlese, Wei Xiong, Nathaniel Hupert. Hospital Preparedness Exercises Resources. December 2010. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.
- Shortell, Stephen M, Lawrence P Casalino, and Elliott S Fisher. 2010. “Achieving the Vision: Structural Change.” In Partners in Health: How Physicians and Hospitals Can Be Accountable Together, pp. 46-71, eds. Francis J. Crosson and Laura A. Tollen. San Francisco: Josey Bass.
- Finkel, ML. Truth, Lies, and Public Health: How We Are Affected When Science and Politics Collide (Westport, CT: Praeger Press, 2007).
- Finkel, ML. Understanding the Mammography Controversy: Science, Politics, and Breast Cancer Screening (Westport, CT: Praeger Press, 2005).
- Finkel, ML. Health Care Cost Management, 3rd edition. Brookfield, WI: International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans. 1996.
- Finkel, ML. Health Care Cost Management, 2nd edition. Brookfield, WI: International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans. 1991.
- Finkel, ML and Ruchlin, HS. The Health Care Benefits of Retirees. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press. 1990.
- Finkel, ML and Ruchlin, HS. Retiree Health Care: A Ticking Time Bomb. Brookfield, WI: International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans. 1988.
- Finkel, ML. (ed). The Delivery of Surgical Health Care in the United States: A Policy Perspective. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press. 1988.
- Finkel, MIL. Health Care Cost Management, 1st edition. Brookfield, WI: International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans. 1985.
- McCarthy, EG, Finkel, MIL., and Ruchlin, HS. Second Opinion Elective Surgery. Boston: Auburn House Publishing Co. 1981.
- McCarthy, EG and Finkel, MIL. Fundamentals of Second Opinion Programs. Brookfield, WI: International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans. 1980.
- Division Office
- (646) 962-8044
Selected Recent Publications
- JAMIA • 2015 • Jessica Ancker, Lisa Kern, Alison Edwards, Daniel Stein, Rainu Kaushal, et al
Associations between healthcare quality and use of electronic health record functions in ambulatory care
- JAMA • 2015 • Lawrence Casalino
Pioneer Accountable Care Organizations: Traversing Rough Country
- Med Care • 2015 • Lawrence Casalino, Michael Pesko, Andrew Ryan, Xuming Sun, Jayme Mendlsohn, et al
Physician Networks and Ambulatory Care-sensitive Admissions
- Appl Clin Inform • 2015 • Rainu Kaushal, Alison Edwards, Lisa Kern, HITEC Investigators
Association between Electronic Health Records and Health Care Utilization
- Am J Med Qual • 2015 • Joshua Richardson, Lisa Kern, Michael Silver, Hye-Young Jung, Rainu Kaushal, HITEC Investigators
Physician Satisfaction in Practices That Transformed Into Patient-Centered Medical Homes: A Statewide Study in New York
- Praeger Press • 2015 • Madelon Finkel (Ed)
The Human and Environmental Impact of Fracking: How Fracturing Shale for Gas Affects Us and Our World
- JAMIA • 2015 • Joshua Richardson, Joshua Vest, Lisa Kern, Rainu Kaushal, et al
A Needs Assessment of Health Information Technology for Improving Care Coordination in Three Leading Patient-Centered Medical Homes
- JAMIA • 2015 • Lisa Kern, Alison Edwards, Michelle Pichardo, Rainu Kaushal
Electronic health records and health care quality over time in a federally qualified health center
- Sci Total Environ • 2015 • Jake Hays, Madelon Finkel, et al
Considerations for the development of shale gas in the United Kingdom
- Am J Med Qual • 2015 • Lisa Kern, Alison Edwards, Rainu Kaushal, et al
The Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records and Health Care Utilization
- Am J Manag Care • 2015 • Joshua Vest, Rainu Kaushal, Michael Silver, Lisa Kern, et al
Health Information Exchange and the Frequency of Repeat Medical Imaging
- Epilepsia • 2015 • Zachary Grinspan, Erika Abramson, Hye-Young Jung, Rainu Kaushal, Lisa Kern, et al
Hospital crossover increases utilization for people with epilepsy: A retrospective cohort study
- Public Health • 2014 • Rebecca & Madelon Finkel
The ‘dirty downside’ of global sporting events: focus on human trafficking for sexual exploitation
- Health Serv Res • 2014 • Lawrence Casalino
Categorizing Accountable Care Organizations: Moving Toward Patient-Centered Outcomes Research That Compares Health Care Delivery Systems
- N Engl J Med • 2014 • Lawrence Casalino
Accountable Care Organizations — The Risk of Failure and the Risks of Success
- JAMA Intern Med • 2014 • Tara Bishop et al
The Cost of Defensive Medicine on 3 Hospital Medicine Services
- CHEST • 2014 •Task Force for Mass Critical Care including Nathaniel Hupert
System Level Planning, Coordination, and Communication: Care of the Critically Ill and Injured During Pandemics and Disasters: Chest Consensus Statement
- Health Affairs • 2014 •Lawrence Casalino, Michael Pesko, Andrew Ryan, et al
Small Primary Care Physician Practices Have Low Rates Of Preventable Hospital Admissions
- N Engl J Med • 2014 • Matthew Press
Instant Replay — A Quarterback's View of Care Coordination
- Preventive Medicine • 2014 • Michael Pesko et al
Per-pack price reductions available from different cigarette purchasing strategies: United States, 2009-2010
- Ann Intern Med • 2014 • Lisa Kern, Alison Edwards, Rainu Kaushal
The Patient-Centered Medical Home, Electronic Health Records, and Quality of Care
- Ann Intern Med • 2014 • Andrew Ryan, Alvin Mushlin
The Affordable Care Act's Payment Reforms and the Future of Hospitals
- JAMA • 2014 • Matthew Press
Healthcare • 2014 • Tara Bishop, Lawrence Casalino, Andrew Ryan, et al
Do provider attitudes about electronic health records predict future electronic health record use?
- BMJ • 2014 • Douglas Noble, Lawrence Casalino, et al
Improving population health one person at a time? Accountable care organisations: perceptions of population health—a qualitative interview study
- JAMA Intern Med • 2014 • Lisa Kern, Rainu Kaushal
Measuring the Impact of "Meaningful Use" on Quality of Care
- Ann Intern Med • 2014 • Andrew Ryan, Matthew Press
Value-based payment for physicians in medicare: small step or giant leap?
- Environ Health Perspect • 2014 • Madelon Finkel et al
Environmental Public Health Dimensions of Shale and Tight Gas Development
- BMJ • 2014 • Madelon Finkel et al
Public Health England's draft report on shale gas extraction