- Develops, implements and enforces policies and procedures to support laboratory safety, efficiency and quality control.
- Provides orientation, training and supervision of staff, students, visiting scientists and new lab members in the application and use of new equipment as well as maintaining and following the standard operating procedures for laboratory activities.
- Ensures that safety practices are monitored and mandated safety requirements observed.
- Ensures the safe, timely and appropriate processing, storage and shipping of biological specimens.
- Ensures that facilities and equipment are in optimal and proper working condition. Coordinates preventative maintenance and repairs as needed. May perform minor repairs if qualified and as needed. May advise on upgrades for performance enhancements.
- Monitors the financial and accounting activities of the laboratory.
- As needed, performs basic laboratory experiments or routine laboratory procedures.
- Manages database of cell lines, antibodies, oligonucleotides and other biological reagents.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents. May order supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized or ensure that needs are escalated appropriately. Receives supply orders and confirms accuracy of delivery. May assist with cost control.
- Negotiates prices with external vendors for the purchase of equipment and places orders for all equipment.
- Ensures laboratory is in compliance with the Weill Cornell Medicine, local, state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Attends workshops, seminars and/or conferences to keep abreast of standards and best practices within the field. Disseminates information to colleagues and/or staff as appropriate.
- Prepares IACUC protocols and yearly renewals.
- Prepares IRB protocols and yearly renewals.
- Assists principle investigators and post-docs with the preparation of Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) for acquiring reagents.
- Assists principle investigators and post-docs with the preparation of budgets and other regulatory items for grant submission.
- Organizes schedule of lab meetings.
- Analyzes data and prepares professional presentations for lab meetings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership competencies, including ability to motivate staff, excellent organizational skills, and ability to work effectively as a member of a team, in a busy, fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
To apply, please submit an application at our career opportunities website.
Weill Cornell Medicine and the Department of Healthcare Policy & Research are committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. We ensure all employment activities are conducted in a fair and equal fashion, without regard to race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, status as a domestic violence victim, individual with a disability, citizenship, protected veteran, or other characteristic as protected by law.